For years exploited in the world of racing, where every small improvement in lap time can make a difference, the quick shifter is now fitted as standard on a number of mid-to-high-end sports bikes.
The quick shifter intervenes when the rider operates the shift lever to increase the gear; the micro-switch installed on the control sends a signal to the bike’s control unit, which intervenes by removing power for a fraction of a second (thus cutting engine power).
This very rapid intervention only takes place for the time needed to engage the gear (with approximate times of a tenth of a second on road bikes, thousandths on track bikes).
Main advantages of the SP Electronics quick shifter in sports use:
- Faster gear engagement compared to conventional gear shifting.
- Limitation of pitching movement when shifting under acceleration.
- Improved traction due to less load transfer in gear changes.
- Possibility for the driver to maintain physical strength on the vehicle and greater concentration when driving.
- Limitation of tyre wear… which is always good for racing!
Not forgetting… the pleasure of smoother and more enjoyable road driving!
And here are some ‘DISADVANTAGES’:
- Increased weight of the vehicle (albeit minimal, we’re talking about 300 g!).
- Addictive! … (it happens that… everyone complains… driving vehicles without a quick shifter!)
All SP Electronics kits come with dedicated wiring harnesses and control units, for every type of vehicle on the market
Visit our FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section if you would like more information.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information